Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Manure for thought

I love manure, the older and smellier the better.
The odour is a gardener’s delight.
I am lucky as there is a stable just down the road and I can fill up a trailer anytime for $10.00, it’s hard work shovelling especially if it’s a bit wet and tends to make a bit of a mess inside the car after finished, wife loves the smell ‘’I think not’.
I do not but it on the Garden pure, but mix with lawn clippings and waste I have put through the Greenfield Shredder.
The Greenfield shredder is probably the most useful piece of equipment that I have, it shreds just about everything and never clogs up. I have learnt that about the only thing not to put in are the fibrous plants like gingers and Heliconias.
My ideal compost consists of manure, lawn clippings, shredded material, crusher dust, urea and blood and bone.

Leave for a few months and you end up with great compost.
I do not turn the heap over as my heaps tend to be too big and also I do not have the space to put the turned over material, doing it my way just takes a while longer to compost.
I do not put the vegetable scraps on the heap as we have two large areas where we breed compost worms, so all household scraps feeds the worms, no meat or fish of course.
You realise the value of composting when you think back to what our soil was like initially, where the developers scraped and sold all the topsoil on our estate leaving only silty clay top, and compare to now where the garden soil is now a rich dark loam.
Ian

No comments: