Thursday, September 02, 2010

August 2010 Garden News

To start off I have a new web site, my wonderful Daughter in law has bought me a domain name where I can review my favourite garden products. The site can be found at http://www.gardenproductreviews.com/.
This will help keep my brain active otherwise it’s all physical work in the garden. I have already reviewed ‘Sub Tropical gardening’ magazine and ‘Natrakelp’ and intend to do some ‘Fiskars’ products shortly.
My very first day of official retirement was 2 August 2010; it’s a strange feeling not having a job because I have been constantly employed since leaving school at 14, that’s 51 years at work.
The great thing is that I have a passion for plants and gardening, this will keep me active and hopefully healthy in my retirement.
I gave my ‘Smart Sub Tropical Gardening’ presentation to ‘Indooroopilly Garden Club and the ‘Northern Districts Horticultural Society’ both were well received.
I have finished the expanded garden in the back yard and decided to plant it with ‘Cordylines’, I did this for the colour effect.
I also grassed the bare area under the ‘Neem Tree’ with ‘Sweet Smother’ turf; this is supposed to be suitable for shaded areas.
The really big news is that it has rained three times in August with over 100 mills falling. This time last year we were well into the seven month drought.
The garden should look great for this year’s ‘Open Garden’, in fact it should be the best ever with five projects completed, loads of new plantings and enough stored water to see us through any dry spells.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

love the site, Ian.
A perfect gift for you!!
Looking forward to our bus visits which is 4 weeks away. Hope to see you on 23rd in Roma Street??