Wednesday, August 03, 2022

June and July 2022 Garden News

 

I have not posted for a month due to Judy being hospitalized for two weeks with a serious foot infection, driving every day to the hospital meant little gardening has been done.


The good news is that she is recovering, it will be a slow process but she is back to potting.

As for me, I have Covid and am presently isolating, not feeling the best but hopefully will get through it without any side effects.

I am on anti-virus tablets at $1000 a bottle, thank goodness for the PSB scheme where I only have to pay around the $6 MARK.

So, in-between driving to Greenslopes Hospital every day I have been pruning all the fruit trees, so much extra growth this year with all the rain we had. I have cut them back hard this year as it is getting too hard to climb up with a saw.

The gingers are all dying back with the cold, in my opinion this is the coldest winter we have had for many a year, the garden is looking quite cold affected.

A lot of Coastal Python activity this year.


For the first time we will have Beehive gingers available at our Open Garden.


A lot of pathway gravel was washed away during the rain so I had to replace that.

We are still planning on opening in November, it will be our 20th ‘Open Garden’, I thing that is quite a feat, we are still feeling it will be our last.

While Judy was in hospital, I kept my word to the Bribie Island Garden Club and drove up there to give a presentation, very friendly and provided lunch at the local bowls club.

The turf I put down last year needed a top dress, so I went to my local landscape yard and they recommended a Botando top dressing, I would have preferred the Candy one but they no longer stock that brand.

Well, was that a disaster the top dressing went as hard as a rock and killed all the grass, I did complain and the owner came around with some flowers for Judy and some sample soil for me which turned out to be quite bad.

Anyway I spotted turf at Bunnings going out for $2 a roll so bought 50 rolls, then tilled the area and levelled before laying the new turf. End result very good.







Amorphophallus Konjak appeared in the garden.


 

No comments: