Wednesday, May 01, 2013

April Garden News 2013


April started off with Judy and I going to 'Glebe Garden Club' which is situated just outside of Ipswich.
My presentation was ‘Rare, Beautiful and Bizarre Botanicals, this was the first time I had showed this power point presentation and it was very well received.
My next presentation was to the 'Royal Horticultural Society’ at Cleveland again ’Rare, Beautiful and Bizarre Botanicals’.
It was a Friendship day so members of other clubs were able to see the new presentation.
'Karana Downs Garden Club' visited us and stayed for a full morning, all said they enjoyed the garden.

We went to Rod Patterson’s Open Garden as we like to support him and he always has great plants for sale.
Unfortunately the weather was not kind to Rod as it rained heavily all day Saturday and some of Sunday so his numbers were right down.
Our Superannuation fund visited here to take some publicity photos of Judy and I and how we were managing our finances. It was quite a shoot with a team of six arriving including a makeup lady.

Needless to say I had to powder my nose prior to being photographed; this was defiantly a first for me.
I had my 68 th birthday and had a lovely dinner with all the family.

I travelled up to Toowoomba again for the ANZAC day marching along with a number of ex RAAF ‘Doggies’ Police Dog Handlers, it was a great march and a good chance to catch up with some good friends from the past.

I had my annual medical check up and told the Doctor I had no problems other than working too hard, he said for me to continue doing that.
In the garden.

































Putting sugar cane mulch down prior to winter, great stuff and really insulates the soil during the colder months, a number of new plants put in and general maintenance.
With the new swimming pool laws I would of had to cut out most of a nice Lychee tree, so rather than do that I have removed the old fence and a built a new one a metre back, a big job, but what isn't.
The tropical plants are starting to go dormant, plants like caladiums, gingers and hippeastrums are dying back quite quickly now and the pecan nuts are dropping their leaves.

No comments: