Friday, September 27, 2024

July August and September Garden news

 

I am afraid I have been a bit slack in keeping this garden blog up to date, anyway as they say better late than never.

In July we did our usual trip to the Nambour Garden Expo, always interesting but only a few plants bought as we have so many already.

Then we drop in to see our friends at Natra-kelp whose factory is based at Maroochydore, really great product that we use all the time in our garden.

Still trimming back all the fruit trees, on my 24th trip to the dump this month of July, all the summer rain has caused everything to grow so much.

No bus visits or garden talks this month, big change from last year where we were very busy hosting trips.

I got fed up with the Bombax Tree never flowering and dropping off dead limbs, so I took off as many limbs as I could then paid someone to take down the trunk, such a messy tree, one that I will not miss.

Went to get my long Fiskars pruner out and found the chain had come loose and disappeared inside the mechanism, not a problem as Fiskars have a 25 year warranty so it was off to Bunnings to do a quick exchange, great as a new one costs $239.

I love my Ryobi One tools as they are cordless and if you register online you get six year warranty, how good is that.

Judy was out of 15mm pine back which she used for her Bromeliad mix, nowhere seems to sell it so it was a trip to Bassett Bark at Glasshouse Mountain to fill up the trailer, great and very helpful people there.


 












In August and September we seemed to spend most of our time watering as it was very dry except for one day.

We hosted a bus trip from the ‘Cleveland Over 50s’ and that was good, they really enjoyed the Winter Garden and plan to come back late November to see the mass plantings of Caladiums and other summer flowering plants.

After cutting back very heavy, the Mango is showing it's appreciation.

it was also time to get my Amorphophallus tubers/corms out of hibernation and start to repot, the drill auger comes in very handy for mixing the potting media.






In September we hosted a bus trip from ‘Stafford Garden Club’, again in was a successful visit with all our visitors enjoying the garden.

Again, very dry and I really hate having to spend two days watering when there are other jobs that need doing.

Still trimming, pruning, and cutting back shrubs and trees and took trailer load 30 to the dump, thank goodness our dump is free otherwise I would have to get a bank loan.

I top dressed the back lawn with sand and thankful that I had the electric wheelbarrow as my knees are both not the best these days.

My Facebook page is doing well with 4000 plus likes and 4000 plus followers and ‘Open Gardens and Events Queensland’ has over 7000 likes, thanks Marie Jones for helping me out by becoming the second Admin.

 

No comments: